Our bookdrive coordinator: xaanterra
I would like to thank xaanterra for volunteering to be the Illinois::Naperville Book-Driver-In-Chief. In the days to come, you will see posted information from her and e-mail messages (relayed through the MLs); please help our region achieve 3,000 donated books through the Bettter World Books (to help out the Office of Letters and Light and its Young Writer's Program).
If anyone wants to help (e.g., CameronDaye and Insertnamehere), please send nanomail to xaanterra.
We Naperville MLs are looking for an energetic volunteer to coordinate our region's participation in the first-ever Great NaNoWriMo Book Drive that the Office of Letters and Light (that sponsors National Novel Writing Month) is organizing as a fundraiser.
There are many MLs across the world who are serving as the Bookdriver-in-Chief for their region; alas, Dave, Katherine and I do not have the bandwidth to do this for our region.
If anyone is interested in helping out, please contact us through nanomail.
- Katherine has some space she is willing to offer for the temporary storage of some of the books
- I would discourage first-timer NaNo'ers from taking on this role because of the time/effort required (your novel should come first).
- The Chicago region MLs are interested in partnering with us on this, so the demands on our region would be less
Background information from the OLL
For this book drive, OLL is partnering with Better World Books, an online bookseller that donates a portion of its proceeds each year to literacy nonprofits. So far, they've donated almost $8.5 million to groups that encourage reading around the world. We should have our Better World Books portal up and running right away, so stay tuned to receive your login information and thank you for your patience!
Here's how The Great NaNoWriMo Book Drive will work: From October 1 to December 15, we will collect as many books as we can, pack them up (in boxes provided by Better World Books), and then BWB will either arrive with a truck or send us free UPS mailing labels for shipping the books to them. BWB has the infrastructure in place to run book drives in the US, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
We're challenging all participating regions to collect 3,000 books! We know it's a lot of books, but I'm confident you guys can do it. Other organizations have done drives with BWB where local chapters have gathered 10K-30K books, and Chris, Lindsey, Nancy, Tavia and the rest of the Office of Letters and Light have vowed to raise 3,000 books to show that you can be super-busy and still coax books from loved ones. We will happily accept all books you are able to collect; regions with fewer than 3000 books will just have one extra step to complete in order to submit their books.
For the top three book drive regions, there will be truly fabulous prizes. You can see the full list of unbelievable prizes.
Here's a quick look at what the role of regional Bookdriver-in-Chief entails:
- Registering with the BWB Portal so you can order free supplies.
- Coordinating pick-up of books when you're finished collecting.
- Finding a space to hold the books until you're ready for pickup! This could be a basement, garage, attic, spare space in your office, or an extra room that someone in your community is willing to offer.
- Encouraging and assisting your region in their book collecting! We've heard of some NaNoWriMo regions already kicking around imaginative ideas for participants, and we'll be sharing ideas about the Book Drive in the forums all autumn long.